James Watson Murray
|Alternative Address:||Ballyglass, Co. Westmeath; Tullinisky, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath|
Resident at Tullinisky, Mullingar
Resident at Ballyglass, Mullingar
|Regiment/Unit:||Joint War Committee Voluntary Aid Detachment (Red Cross & St John's Ambulance) - Co. Longford|
|Date of Death:|
James Watson Murray was born c.1852 in Co. Armagh. He trained as a civil engineer and worked in that capacity with the Board of Works in Co. Westmeath until his retirement. The family moved to Mosstown c.1915 where he became involved in the development of the peat industry in the midlands. He was a Justice of the Peace and later a Deputy Lieutenant.
Murray became Director fo the Longford branch of the British Red Cross from February 1918 through to December 1919.
James's wife Catherine was also involved in volunteering for the war effort, for example regularly collecting hundreds of eggs for wounded soldiers for a Red Cross National Egg Collection drive in 1915 (Mrs. Musters from Brianstown house also contributed 192 at that time).
|Notes:||The British Red Cross V.A.D. file appears to have been incorrectly transcribed as F. Watson Murray instead of J. Watson Murray|