Mary Eleanor Poe
|Rank:||Volunteer / Head of Work Party|
|Alternative Address:||Great Bookham, Surrey, England; Preston House, Little Bookham, Surrey; 2 Alexandra Terrace, Bognor, Sussex; Tashinny Glebe, Co. Longford; 37 Northumberland Ave, Dun Laoighre|
|Census 1901:||Resident at Bognor, Sussex, England|
Resident at Glebe, Ballymahon
|Regiment/Unit:||Joint War Committee Voluntary Aid Detachment (Red Cross & St John's Ambulance) - Work Party No. 139|
|Date of Death:||26-05-1955|
Mary Eleanor Poe was born Mary Nixon c. April 1881 in Great Bookham, Surrey, England, the eldest daughter of a Church of England minister. Prior to her marriage she was residing at Tashinny Glebe, likely moving there after the deaths of both her parents. Mary married Rev. Purefoy Poe, Shrule in Holy Trinity Church, Tashinny on the 30 March 1910.
During WW1 Mary Eleanor was a dedicated volunteer with the Voluntary Aid Detachment/ Red Cross, and was Head of Work Party No. 139. Her VAD record notes:
Head of Work Party no. 139 Made 13 garments with help of work party knitted 5 pairs of bed socks, made 6 comforts bags Helped to pick sphagnum moss for Moate Depot
They also note:
She was awarded the Long Service Medal and Self Sacrifice Medal in recognition of her work.
Mary and Rev Poe lived in Shrule until 1932; they later moved to Dun Laoighre, where Rev Poe died in 1940. Mary Eleanor died in Blackrock Co. Dublin in May 1955.
|Parents Names:||Daughter of Rev. Thomas William Nixon and Eleanor Jessie (née Ryder)|
|Notes:||*Rev Nixon died in 1904 and Eleanor Nixon in 1906.|